Fighting against the barrage of warmist propaganda that comes from such scientific luminaries as Obama and the Pope can be tough.
One great resource is the blog site Watts Up With That. Their recent post containing 22 inconvenient climate truths was very interesting – I’ve listed the bullet points below, you can go to their web site for more detailed explanations;
1. The Mean Global Temperature has been stable since 1997, despite a continuous increase of the CO2 content of the air.
2. 57% of the cumulative anthropic emissions since the beginning of the Industrial revolution have been emitted since 1997, but the temperature has been stable.
3. The amount of CO2 of the air from anthropic emissions is today no more than 6% of the total CO2 in the air instead of the 25% to 30% said by IPCC.
4. The lifetime of CO2 molecules in the atmosphere is about 5 years instead of the 100 years said by IPCC.
5. The changes of the Mean Global Temperature are more or less sinusoidal with a well defined 60 year period. We are at a maximum of the sinusoid(s) and hence the next years should be cooler as has been observed after 1950.
6. The absorption of the radiation from the surface by the CO2 of the air is nearly saturated.
7. In some geological periods the CO2 content of the air has been up to 20 times today’s content, and there has been no runaway temperature increase.
8. The sea level is increasing by about 1.3 mm/year according to the data of the tide-gauges, no acceleration has been observed during the last decades.
9. The “hot spot” in the inter-tropical high troposphere is, according to all “models” and to the IPCC reports, the indubitable proof of the water vapour feedback amplification of the warming: it has not been observed and does not exist.
10. The water vapour content of the air has been roughly constant since more than 50 years but the humidity of the upper layers of the troposphere has been decreasing: the IPCC foretold the opposite.
11. The maximum surface of the Antarctic ice-pack has been increasing every year since we have satellite observations.
12. The sum of the surfaces of the Arctic and Antarctic icepacks is about constant, their trends are phase-opposite; hence their total albedo is about constant.
13. The measurements from the 3000 oceanic ARGO buoys since 2003 may suggest a slight decrease of the oceanic heat content between the surface and a depth 700 m with very significant regional differences.
14. The observed outgoing longwave emission (or thermal infrared) of the globe is increasing, contrary to what models say on a would-be “radiative imbalance”; the “blanket” effect of CO2 or CH4 “greenhouse gases” is not seen.
15. The Stefan Boltzmann formula does not apply to gases, as they are neither black bodies, nor grey bodies: why does the IPCC community use it for gases ?
16. The trace gases absorb the radiation of the surface and radiate at the temperature of the air which is, at some height, most of the time slightly lower that of the surface.
17. The temperatures have always driven the CO2 content of the air, never the reverse.
18. The CLOUD project at the European Center for Nuclear Research is probing the Svensmark-Shaviv hypothesis on the role of cosmic rays modulated by the solar magnetic field on the low cloud coverage; the first and encouraging results have been published in Nature.
19. Numerical “Climate models” are not consistent regarding cloud coverage which is the main driver of the surface temperatures.
20. The forecasts of the “climate models” are diverging more and more from the observations. A model is not a scientific proof of a fact and if proven false by observations (or falsified) it must be discarded.
21. As said by IPCC in its TAR (2001) “we are dealing with a coupled non-linear chaotic system, and therefore the long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible.”
22. Last but not least the IPCC is neither a scientific organization nor an independent organization: the summary for policy makers, the only part of the report read by international organizations, politicians and media is written under the very close supervision of the representative of the countries and of the non-governmental pressure groups.