This is one area that has been shamefully neglected by recent governments, both in terms of massive cuts in numbers of men and equipment and failing to invest enough in what is left behind.
UKIP will address this imbalance (spending details will follow later) but for now they have announced a comprehensive set of policy ideas to support service personnel when they leave the forces;
- We will resource fully our military assets and personnel.
- UKIP will guarantee those who have served in the Armed Forces for a minimum of 12 years a job in the police force, prison service or border force
- UKIP will change the points system for social housing to give priority to ex-service men and women and those returning from active service.
- A Veterans Department will bring together all veterans services to ensure servicemen and women get the after-service care they deserve.
- Veterans are to receive a Veterans’ Service Card to ensure they are fast tracked for mental health care and services, if needed.
- All entitlements will be extended to servicemen recruited from overseas.
- UKIP supports a National Service Medal for all those who have served in the armed forces.